POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Mar 2008 08:03:52
Message: <47e10f38$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Wow, that's good. I can't find any with onboard ethernet and > VGA
> graphics for that price. Where did you get it? (This makes a pleasant
> change, I must say ;-))

OK, hold on a sec...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132273

>> And my point is that a few years back, I put together a really
>> high-spec PC with a boatload of RAM, very fast CPU and a quality GPU

>> *entry level* stuff costs that much.
>
> Well they do sell stuff that cheap then don't they ;-)

They sell *one* product that cheap - the MiniMac. (And that's the
starting price.) Everything else is way more expensive.

> What about a screen? Keyboard?

What about them? I already own those things, so I don't need to buy any
more...

>> Well, the idea of an Power Mac with 8 all-powerful Xeon cores does

>> around. You could almost buy a second-hand *car* for that!
>

> for that. :)

never have that kind of money.]

> An order of magnitude difference would be x10 to my mind.

Right. Well to me, if the prices have different numbers of *digits* in
them, they're pretty damn far apart! ;-)

> Anyway, why
> compare with the Air? A bog-standard regular Macbook has a higher spec

Ah, so only 2x instead of 3x the price then. :-)

> You're paying through the nose for style (and a *tiny*
> HD and no optical drive - what a con). At least compare like for like!

Well, you can't deny, the Air does *look* damn fine. ALL Mac products
look pretty damn good. Jesus, I wish my website looked as sleek as
apple.com! But, unsurprisingly, Macs come with a price tag to match...

>> http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513
>
> Snigger.

I *will* infect the world with CAD! >:-D

> Hmm. iCat, anyone? Is this the firewire port? *MRAAAAOW!*

o_O

No group hug for you...

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20031205

--